Life Is Not Easy — It’s About Choosing Your Hard

Let’s pretend for a moment that we have no choice but to suffer

Alexandra Walker-Jones
3 min readNov 1, 2020


Life is not lemonade, it’s a series of under-ripe lemons being hurled at you at 45mph by an invisible machine, like the ones that launch tennis balls, but bigger and worse.

Life is not all fun and games — and if we’re being real, it’s not even like 35% fun and games. I do believe, however, that looking at life this way makes the other 65% of the pie of life just that little bit easier to cope with.

In truth, I think all aspects of life are a struggle. And, ironically, I think accepting that fact makes me a happier, more optimistic human being.

You see, if we can come to terms with the difficulty setting of this game we’re all playing (it’s set to hard by the way), then it becomes a whole lot less of a surprise when things go wrong in our life, or we feel overwhelmed.

Put simply: Life is not easy — it’s about choosing your hard.

The Hards We Can’t Control

There are troublesome areas of our lives that we simply have no choice over; these are the hards we can’t control.

Because we can’t control these hards, there is little point in me giving any type of advice on them. You are likely already doing your best to stay afloat and dealing with the changing of the tides as and when they come.

The hards we can’t control can be rough. The world we currently live in is not a very nice place to be for a lot of us, whether it’s because of our skin colour, economic status, sexual preference, gender identity, or any of the other things that set us apart from what the media and society has falsely identified as the ‘norm.’

For the hards we can’t control — keep on doing what you’re doing, fight the good fight, and know that there’s a light at the end of the tunnel coming soon.

The Hards We Can Control

There are troublesome areas of our life, that as much as it might scare us to admit, we do have a choice in deciding. These are the hards we can control.



Alexandra Walker-Jones

Content writer and published author in the plant-based health and wellness sphere. I’m just here to learn!